Do you ever find yourself frustrated because you try and try but the scale just won’t budge? Well, here are 5 simple weight loss tips to break that plateau once and for all!
- Cut out all artificial sweeteners immediately! Contrary to what most people think, artificial sweeteners actually sabotage your weight loss efforts! They turn off your body’s ability to regulate the amount of sugar you eat because you lose the natural ability to determine when enough is enough!
- Drink more plain water. Most people don’t get enough water each day. Being dehydrated, even mildly, can be confused with being hungry and cause you to eat when you are really just thirsty. A good goal is to get 1 ounce of water each day for every 2 pounds of body weight. (i.e. 150 lbs = 75 oz/day)
- Eat more fiber. Most Americans get less than 1/2 of the recommended 20-35 grams of fiber each day. Fiber not only helps remove toxins and excess waste from your body so you can absorb more nutrients (making you more satisfied and less likely to experience cravings) but it also makes you feel fuller longer! Go for the best forms of fiber from Fruits, Vegetables and minimally processed Whole Grains.
- Treat yourself to some delicious dark chocolate every day! According to an internationally recognized expert in the field of alternative medicine focusing on diet and nutrition, Dr. Keith Scott-Mumby, a small bar of dark chocolate can contain as many flavanoids as six apples, as four and a half cups of tea or two glasses of red wine. Dark chocolate also can be an effective appetite suppressant and aid in weight loss. (the darker the chocolate, the better…without added sugar!)
- Become aware of what and when you eat. Unconscious eating can easily add on 200-500 or more unwanted calories to your day. By just being conscious and actively making the choice to eat…or not, you can make huge strides in your weight loss over time. For example, if you made a point to be aware of your eating and to stick to serving sizes instead of eating mindlessly, and you cut out just 300 calories/day…in one month you would lose over 2-1/2 pounds with minimal efforts! That’s over 30 lbs a year gone instead of gained!
America has become the land of instant gratification. If you release the unrealistic expectations, love yourself and be patient and forgiving when you make mistakes, you will be surprised at how much easier it is to make healthier choices and let go of the excess weight once and for all.